Thursday 29 September 2011

A Post About Fear And Stuff...

I was doing a walk with my family through a national park today and I realised that, while doing these kinds of walks or hikes, I always look down at the ground. Once I look up and look at the trees and bushes, I freak out that a wild animal will jump out at me. Stupid, I know, but this got me thinknig about things that freak me out. So, here's a list of things that freak me out, gross me out, creep me out or are genuine phobias of mine. Enjoy.

1. Heights- Always been my biggest fear. I hate heights. As a result, I have a fear of many other things, solely because they are high. I hate looking up at tall buildings and I hate standing on the top floor of tall buildings. Well, I'm OK as long as I don't stand near the window and look out, of course. My immense fear of heights definitely stops me from doing many things in my life.

2. Pitch black darkness- Again, always a big fear of mine. It has definitely become less prominent in the past year or two, which is good. I cannot sleep in pitch black and cannot walk or do anything. I just hate the feeling of not knowing exactly what is around me.

3. Things that fly- Now, I don't mind bugs. I actually kinda like them. I can tolerate beetles and even cockroaches, but as soon as a bug flies, it freaks me out. I hate flying bugs. Even flies. The slower it flies, the more it freaks me out. Whenever there's a big fly around that flies real slow around me, it freaks me out. I also don't like dragonflies. Well, I really like them in theory, but they either fly really fast, or really slow. *shudder* Now, strangely enough, I don't like butterflies. Again, they're nice in theory. They are pretty and all, but they just fly past you so quickly and it takes you be surprise and always gives me a fright. So, it turns out, if something flies really slow or really fast, it freaks me out. I don't like birds all that much either.

4. Speed- I don't know, I don't like moving awfully fast. I mean, I'm not like overly worried about it, I just don't like being in things that move really quickly, like a speeding car or something.

5. Rollercoasters- OK, actually, pretty much any theme park ride. It goes along with the fear of heights and speed. I have only been on like, two rollercoasters ever and they are children's ones. They were fun, though. I just can't get over my fear of them, despite the peer pressure of my friends and the boredom that ensues waiting for people on rides. I just cannot overcome it.

6. Public Speaking- One of my worst fears. The moment I find out that I have an oral assignment for English in the coming weeks/months, I start freaking out. Seriously, I freak out more in the weeks before the speech than in the night before. I shake and cry (thankfully not at school) and my voice wobbles and I stutter and it isn't pretty. Even though I know that 99% of the people in the classroom aren't listening and don't give a damn about what I'm saying or what I look like, it terrifies me.

7. Phones- I won't answer them, call anybody on them or leave a message. If I have to, I check the number at least 5 times, type it into the phone and check it a similar amount of times, I will practice exactly what I'm going to say many times, pace the room and my hands will be shaking. I hate leaving messages nearly as much. I have gone through that whole ordeal to get an answering machine several times. Despite the fact that it was an important phone call and I'll have to call them again, I never leave messages. I am not quite sure why. I think the thought of people listening to my voice at a later time, where I can no longer have any control over the situation is what scares me. The only thing I'm OK with doing on a phone is texting. Some people will be all, "OK, just call me with the details for blah blah blah," and I'm like, "Yeah, I'll text you..."

8. Ordering things from shops alone- Now, this isn't a fear per se, but I hate doing it and it kinda freaks me out. I've gotten better over the past year, in a way though. A year or two ago, I would never ever go up to the counter at McDonald's and buy an ice cream cone alone. My parents hate this. When I do, however, I practice what I'm going to say in my head multiple times and I usually (if it's a fast food place or similar) stare at the menu, as if reading what I want off it, even though I'm just avoiding the eye contact of the cashier. Nowadays, I usually force one of my brothers to come with me, because I hate standing around these kind of places alone.

9. Clowns- Yeah. I know, pretty common these days, but they are creepy! I don't have a full on fear of clowns, they just creep me out.

10. Those street performers who stand still making you think they're statues until they move- Oh gosh, I hate them. Whenever I see a statue that looks like it could possible be real, especially in the city, I walk as far away from it as possible. I once saw this street performer dude who was like this and freaked out these two teenage girls and they squealed and laughed and then he started kinda following them (to freak them out more or whatever) and I'm pretty sure he started touching one girl's hair. I was out of there as quick as possible them. I hate those guys, they freak me out.

Now, these are all of the non-depressing, serious kinds of fears I can think of right now. Most of this was written over a week ago, but I kept getting stuck and forgetting things. When I was actually thinking about this, on the bush walk, I thought of so many, but I'm forgetful, so whatever.

And now, for some random pictures courtesy of Google Images. These appear when you type "fear funny" into the search box:


I have no idea what this has to do with fear, but I found it funny...

No comments:

Post a Comment