Sunday 5 June 2011

Hitler Ate Sugar

I just finished reading Pride and Prejudice, which is my selected "classic text" for my English Extension assignment. I did enjoy this book, more than I thought. It is nothing like anything I usually read. Although many Jane Austen fans obviously can understand the language, I often could not. Some paragraphs or, at once stage, an entire chapter (because some people *cough*Gojo*cough*Albino*cough* where fighting each other violently next to me) were lost on me. Quite a few times I really liked the way things were written. I did, however, have an English woman narrating the book in my head as I read it. And whenever I read it, I'd walk around thinking in a British accent. Thankfully, I think I managed to avoid speaking in a British accent or else everyone would have been all, "What the heck, girl?" And I would have shrugged and said, "Pride and Prejudice, man. Blame Jane Austen," and of course, they couldn't do much about that, cause she's dead.

Last night I watched episode 1 of Durarara!! as planned. Again, very different to anything I'd usually watch. So very different. I have usually watched relatively light (except for AnoHana at the moment. It's not really "light") romance-based (if a show has no real romance, I'm immediately turned off. I need my shipping, OK guys?), kinda-girly, often relatively humourous anime. The protagonist is usually female as well. The only anime so far that has been completely different to everything mentioned above was Death Note. Anyway, back to Durarara!! (Mm, two exclamation marks and everything...) This anime proves to be different, but interesting. It was SLIGHTLY confusing, the protagonist bored me (what else is new?) and I spent the whole time wanting to meet the 'bad guys' who were briefly mentioned, to judge if they were Favourite Character material or not. Here's the plot outline courtesy of Wikipedia:


Mikado Ryūgamine is a young man who longs for the exciting life of the big city. At the invitation of his childhood friend Kida Masaomi, he transfers to a school in Ikebukuro, Tokyo.
Masaomi warns him about people he doesn't want to cross in the city: a violent man dressed like a bartender, an information merchant, and a mysterious gang called "Dollars." And to top it off, Mikado witnesses an urban legend on his first day in the city: the "Black Rider," the supposedly headless rider of a black motorcycle.
The narrative follows all of the characters equally, showing how their lives intersect, creating a greater plotline from what each character knows about a common incident.
Hm, that was easier to understand than the actual episode. Anywho, the headless person is very interesting. I was all, "Ooooh. This guy's awesome!" until I actually looked at the guy (who was wearing a helmet while bashing some creepy dudes up) and realised he had a rather... female-looking chest. Anyway, it's totes a chick. And the Crash Into Hello that occurs later in the episode confirms that. It was pretty obvious. I think. Now I'm worried I've interpreted it wrong. Ah. Anyway, I'm loading episode 2 right now. Upon looking up the TVTropes page, I read something about some romance, so it's all good. It doesn't seem like it's a HUGE part of the plot, but it's better than nothing. Plus, the sound of these ;bad guys' that Protagonist was warned about really interest me. Especially this guy (I haven't actually met him in the series yet, but reading a little bit of his DurararaWiki page made me kinda like him)
I mean, look at those eyes. And that smirk. There's no way he ISN'T evil :)
According to TVTropes: "He can appear to be a genuinely nice guy, until you realise he's just screwing with you for kicks." Heh. I like him already :)
Anyway, I'm about to watch the TVTropes Video Trope of the Week. You guys should totes watch these, they are really quite amusing. Check them out on their youtube page, guys: http://www.youtube.com/user/tvtropesorg
... This week's Trope Video did not disappoint. As amusing as ever. Now, I shall watch the first one they did. 

Guys. I walked into my room to see this picture on my screen, as part of my Kyo Sohma screensaver:
I will forever love this dude. 
OK. The first Trope Video was classic. I love Tropes, I truly do. Yes, TVTropes has ruined my life, but I still love it. I love using Tropes in everyday life. It has actually defined what I like in shows. Now, thanks to the addictive genius that is TVTropes, I know that I love BST, Jerks With A Heart of Gold, Troubled, But Cute, Magnificent Bastard, Tall, Dark and Snarky and so many more... I love reading pages and going, "OH MY GOSH! I'VE SEEN SHOWS WITH THAT!" and then looking up my favourite shows and their examples. I remember when Gojo first introduced me to this site. We were in the computer lab at school, possibly in Biology. She was looking it up, I was working. She was all, "Go on TVTropes," so I did. I was pretty confused by what she'd told me about the site but she was all, "Look up a show you like... Search Daria," and I read the Daria page, laughed quite a bit and never looked back. Once you go TVTropes, you never go back. Anywho... For old times sake, Imma look up the Daria page now. 
Someone wrote "We Didn't Start TVTropes" to the tune of "We Didn't Start The Fire" and put random TVTropes in the verses. 
See? It has ruined my life! One mention and I've written a lot about it... Whoever started this site and the dudes that continue to write it are pure geniuses. 
... WHA? They called Tom from Daria Tall, Dark and Snarky. I would beg to differ. Mainly because that's one of my favourite Tropes and Tom was one of my least favourite characters. The series became a whole lot more depressing when he showed up. Just sayin'. I never liked him. Humph. 
Aw, this page reminded me of a really emotional Daria episode. Fat Like Me. Quinn's Fashion Club "best friend", Sandi, breaks her leg, is bed-ridden and gets "fat" (chubby). Her and Quinn have a totes emotional moment where you realise they might actually like and respect each other in a not-so-shallow way and Sandi returns to school, despite her newly gained weight and the scorn of her peers. It was actually pretty touching. 
Man, I have some adjustments to make to this page. I believe that they should have another Running Gag example, how no one can ever remember the names of Joey, Jeffy and Jamie.
OK. I'm off TVTropes now. Phew. I am safe from the perils of being on till, like, 9pm. 
I thought I would leave you all with a message from the dudes from Finding Nemo

2 comments:

  1. I-I'm sorry for making you confused with that paragraph. There's something about Albino that just makes me want to smack him up the head, you know?
    The guy you expect to be evil is kind of hot
    ...
    DUDE I TOTES HAVE A THING FOR EVIL SMIRKS oh boy that's not good.
    :3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, I thought he was hot too ;P
    He is definitely a Magnificent/Manipulative Bastard. I really like him.
    I was also attracted to his evil smirk.... ;)

    ReplyDelete