Tuesday 15 March 2011

Go With The Flow, Yo.

When I was in grade 7, my two friends (we had a tight clique back then) used to walk around the oval repeatedly and talk about what we wanted for our future. This wasn't the usual, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" kind of future talk. No, it was a lot more specific. We used to talk about what we wanted to look like when we were older, what job we would do, where we would live and what it would look like. We specially designed husbands for ourselves. Yes, we decided what their names would be, what they would look like (right down to height, hair colour and eye colour) and their personality. We designed the looks and names of our various children and completely designed our future lives. Looking back on it now, I see how stupid it was. I mean, sure back then I knew that life wouldn't be exactly how I imagined it when I was 12 years old, but I guess I thought it could turn out pretty similarly. It's funny because, when I look back on the life I "designed" then, it's completely different to anything I want now. Now I don't want to marry the perfectly designed man (I mean, sure, I do have my ideas...). I used to want an average-height man with brown hair and probably blue eyes. Now, I couldn't care less. Yes, I prefer red and brown hair to blonde but I am not going to turn down a guy because he has blonde hair. And kids, well kids never really cross my mind. The only thing I find slightly intriguing about having children is the ability to name them. I have a thing for names. But honestly, I don't really think of kids as a big deal for me anymore. My life vision, if you will, is more about my young adulthood now. I just want to get out there, have fun, meet people (despite my mild case of social-phobia), hang out with friends and do what I love. Being a terribly hopeless romantic (I am pretty addicted to the many wedding shows on Foxtel), I know my husband will come and everything will just happen somehow like it's supposed to. The only thing that planning so meticulously does is sets you up for serious disappointment, so just go with the flow :)

2 comments:

  1. O_O
    My friends used to do that EXACT same thing back in year 7 (and near the end of year 6)
    But we'd sit at the very back corner of the oval once we reached there. We weren't quite as specific, but we talked about the same things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah. So. Darn. Interesting.
    For me, I mean. Because, well, I've never really been able to say that I planned out my life. I had ideas of what I thought it would be like, but I've always known that it was just going to be eventful and weird.
    So, reading about how you (and C! Hi C!)did that, gives an interesting and different perspective :)
    Also, this post is full of awesome.

    ReplyDelete