Monday 2 May 2011

I Was So Happy When You Smiled...

Now, I should not be writing this, but I cannot resist. I just finished watching Fruits Basket for the second time and I had an epiphany in the... 4th last episode. I realised just why it is so dang popular- the anime and manga. It is so relatable. I mean, come on, second time around and I swear I found every episode more emotional. Well, I found every episode emotional, and that wasn't the case the first time. No, no one in real life is cursed and turns into Chinese zodiac animals, but the characters are quite relatable. Everyone's bound to find someone they relate to. There are many characters, after all. Here I shall outline the issues that characters have (without the curse and all the strangeness) and you should all think about who you are most like. Mmm... Deep stuff ahead...

Tohru Honda- Tries so hard to please everyone. Puts on a brave face all the time but is actually hurting inside. Suffers from loss. Often feels inadequate. Self-esteem issues.

Shigure Sohma: Not much. Uh. Acts funny and stupid but actually cares about everyone and does try to help.

Hatori Sohma: Lonely. So dang lonely. Suffers from loss. Always relied on by others and always helps others, but never helps himself.

Momiji Sohma: Acts so happy and cheerful and energetic but isn't quite as happy as you'd think. Has a secret. Oooh.

Kagura Sohma: Uuh. Loves someone sooo much, but they don't love her back. Realises it's a selfish love and she have been burdening her loved one.

Hatsuharu Sohma: Anger management issues galore. Cares for people. A lot. In love. Naw.

Rin Sohma: Feels unwanted or unneeded and rejects those around her for these reasons. Also, in love.

Yuki Sohma: Lonely. Popular, but doesn't feel like anyone knows the true him. Hides his true self from anyone for fear of being rejected. Doesn't know how to deal with people or show himself. Wants true friends and to be able to show them his real self. Jealous of other people who can deal with people and are accepted for who they really are.

Kisa Sohma: Bullied. Like crazy. Fear of being rejected. Can't see anything good in herself.

Hiro Sohma: Wants to protect the one he loves but feels he's too young. Jealous of those who can protect her. Feels inadequate.

Ritsu Sohma: Oh dear. These dude has issues. Feels unworthy. Unworthy of everything. Inadequate.

Arisa Uotani: Wants to protect her friend and always be there for her. Turned her life around with the help of her friend and mother and wants to always be there for her.

Saki Hanajima: Pretty much the same. Only accepted by her two friends and they mean the world to her and she will do anything to protect them.

Kyo Sohma: Where do I begin? Feels so rejected. Never good enough at anything. Feels like no one will accept the real him. Anger management issues. Doesn't know how to deal with people well. Can't express how he feels well. Dislikes people. Quite a bit. Just wants someone to accept him for who he really is.

And the mother of all issues...
Akito Sohma: So. Many. Issues. Fear. Fear of rejection. Fear of being left alone. Anger management. Control issues. Never wants to lose anyone. Hurts people she genuinely cares about. Inadequate. Never feels like she's good enough for anyone. Hence, she thinks everyone will leave her and she will be left alone. Forever.

So, yeah. That, my friends, is why the Sohma Family is given the trope Big Messed Up Family.

I hate to say it... But reading them, and thinking about the characters, I think I'd be a bit of a mixture between Tohru (I don't like her...), Yuki (don't like him either) and... Kyo (Ok, I loves him). I actually did a "Which Fruits Basket Character Are You?" quiz and my result was Kyo. But, no, I did not give my computer a strange, fangirl smile. No, not at all.

Anyways, which Fruits Basket character are you? 


PS. That's not even all of them. There are more... Yeah.

From left to right: Kyo, Tohru, Yuki, random car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment